Followers

Thursday, July 11, 2013

What is an Altar and Altar Themes

I can suspect as much by this time that you have come across the mentions of an altar. But isn't that solely to christianity you might question yourself? Well yes christianity does use altars, but so does many Pagans, Heathens, Wiccans and Witches of many beliefs, ecclectic blends in many forms and sizes not always physical and not always just "here" in front of your curious eyes.

Now what is my definition of an altar?

An altar connects "me" to the outer realms and closer connections to elementals, deities and spirits I work with during certain times of the year. 
I do not use my altar without  a significant purpose. If there is a full moon and I have planned to do a ritual I will do it. If I'm feeling under the weather I will not risk of messing it up and rather wait another month so I know it will have a better chance at reaching its potential of success.

What kind of altar would someone like me have?

As I know of mine have elements of nature and "broken" things by my own clumsiness. The Altar "table" I have is one large slate tile covered in rough velvet cloth entirely black.

I can wander around the forest and see a piece of fallen piece of pine bark laying on the ground conveniently with a hole in it. "Oh! Incense burner".

I have walked along stony beaches, looked how the waves brush softly back and forth against the rocks suddenly my eyes are fixed on one stone in particular tumbled and polished by the raw powers of the sea.

This specific stone is the lead role during my many cleansing and enlightening rituals for myself and for those who ask for it. My blue "chalice" was originally apart of a set of drinking glasses which I had gotten for christmas, I had it down in my room and conveniently on the floor (I know I know not very smart) and one morning.

I dropped my school sack down on that one glass, the weight of the books crushed a quarter of it and a few weeks later I had what some call a "chalice". Ok this is becoming to long but you see what I mean right?

Alright instead of going into another long explanation I'll show you a few pictures instead.


Very simplistic and naturalistic? If I so say so myself...

- Willow wreath with rowan berries  as decorations, and crow feathers (not raven feathers they are too shy)
- A sea shell as incense burner (lower picture) Pine a bark incense burner
-  And my fantastic blue chalice (upper picture)

Just this simple is my altar...

But as I mentioned at the beginning of this post. There are different kinds of altars mine is one example. I know of others who have whole ROOMS dedicated to their path! Isn't that amazing devotion?

Others set of certain parts of their gardens and create their own "stone circles" and sacred spaces...where they do their rituals and spells. I do know some who pour their whole energy and devotion into the kitchen. They make offerings and their spells relfects in their cooking just perfect is it not?


One of the most amazing sacred space and altar ways I have come across in the past year is music...yes you read it...A select amount of people don't see the need of a physical altar like many others do. The melody the octaves, the energy vibrations in music create their own unique kind of spells different from the written words in a book of shadows, a magical journal or even a grimoire.





I'll use a drum as an example: See before yourself while closing your eyes you tap your fingers against the drum can you "feel" the sound expanding out from you and your drum, everything around you becomes one with that sound. When the sound ends it returns to a neutral space.

I'm 100% certain you have your own theme and sacred space/altar or perhaps even a shrine?

until next time I'll sweep in with another blog post we will see...have fun. Hope you enjoyed my observed rambling.

No comments:

Post a Comment